Thursday, July 24, 2008

Could be your next Vice President

Some thoughts about Tim Pawlenty, Governor of Minnesota and quite possibly John McCain's choice for running mate. He's considered a clone of McCain's when it comes to Republican politics. He takes pride in being able to work both sides of the aisle. Most pundits consider Pawlenty a moderate Republican. However, there are some other tidpits of information that might be interesting to you.

With Polish and German heritage, he was raised a Roman Catholic. His present conversion to an Evangelical Christian faith is largely attributed to his wife Mary (a judge), who has been a regular member of Wooddale Church in Eden Prairie, Minnesota - the church I've been attending and where my BSF class takes place. The church is part of the Minnesota Baptist Conference, and the senior pastor, Leith Anderson, is the president of the National Association of Evangelicals.

Now the real reason I like him. I have former neighbors both of whom are attorneys, atheists and extremely liberal. The wife used to work at the same law firm as Pawlenty. When Pawlenty was running for governor, she went on and on about what a jerk he was at the firm. I think it had something to do with the fact that the two of them were on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to faith, politics, and their respective views of life. For that reason alone he has my vote. I do think he will make a good Vice President. Also, he's a marathon runner.

4 comments:

Mike West said...

McCain needs some star power (name recognition) on the ticket. If you had asked me who Tim Pawlenty was I probably would have said a Minnesota Timberwolf player? I think Rudy makes a lot of sense if you're only concerned about beating BO. He says he wouldn't accept if if offered but I bet he would.

vwatt said...

The only plus I can think of that Pawlenty has going for him: He recently got rid of his semi-mullet hockey haircut!

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Based on BO's campaign, it IS all about appearances, isn't it?

Mike West said...

ooh...score one for Rick. :)