Sunday, December 7, 2008

December 7, 1941

President Roosevelt called it a "day of infamy". I can't help but think of Jay Leno's bit when he goes out on the street and asks passersby simple questions about our government, its history, and current events. Their ignorance is astounding. Obviously, the most ignorant are the ones shown on the show, but I do believe there is a real ignorance in this country about what happened at Pearl Harbor that day and the response of my parents' generation to it. When I compare how my generation has responded to 9/11 to how my parents generation responded, I'm embarrassed and ashamed. I'll never forget how the 20 somethings continued to "club it" and enjoy the good life while our volunteer servicemen all around the world put their lives on the line to secure our freedom. There were no sacrifices made at all by those of us on the homefront who were not involved with the military. Life went on as usual. No sweat. Once again we're involved in a world war that could do more to curtail the freedoms we take for granted much more than Hitler or Hirohito ever imagined, but today nobody cares. It's all about power, earmarks, pork, and entitlements. Unfortunately, I'm afraid, due to our complacency, we'll end up getting what we deserve.

1 comment:

Mike West said...

How we will have money to beef up our military after all these bailouts is beyond me.
I believe we're now getting a part of what we deserve as we see what greed can do to a once proud country. I can't even look at a politician any more without distrust, disgust and disrespect and that's because of the liars, crooks and degenerates in both parties. I would love to see a new legitimate political party arise out of the muck that our political system has become in the last 20 years.