Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mutual Life Saving . . .


There's a new lady in my life. On the day before Halloween, I adopted a 3 year old female brown tabby cat from the local Humane Society. I'm not sure how much time she had left on earth, but it couldn't have been much longer. I walked into the Humane Society with some fairly strict criteria. She had to be declawed, mellow, mature, and affectionate. I mentioned this criteria to the volunteer and he said, "Do we have the cat for you!" And there was "Effie". She met every single criteria, and then some.
After three months into the divorce process, one emotion I have not been able to shake is chronic loneliness. I didn't realize how much I miss the noise of my former home until it was no longer there. It was very difficult coming home to a silent and dark house. (Sidebar - this divorce was not my idea.) I am in no way ready for any sort of dating relationship, but a cat seemed like the perfect answer. And so far it has been. I saved "Effie" so she could save me.

3 comments:

Mike West said...

Amazing how much she looks like our cat "Allie." I have been coverted over to liking cats. I can't believe we have 2. Sounds like you have a real sweetie there. Hang in there. Gotcha in prayer!
Mike

Lyndsey said...

I love her! And dad took my comment because I was going to say how much she looked like Allie too.

twest said...

Became a cat guy too after we "inherited" Charlie's cat Hunter-a gray tabby. Never know he's here unless he's "training" the dogs on where his territory is